Nautical Times In Mobile

 
Two Unintended Nights In Hammond, Louisiana



April 25, 2013
Set back a day due to stormy weather, I was
only too happy to be eastbound on I-12 and away from Hammond, hoping to also leave the dreary overcast sky and find predicted sunshine at Mobile.

It was windy. I expected that. It was cold. I didn't expect that.  I wore a turtle neck under my jacket. Almost wish I had on long johns and heavier gloves. Once the chill sets in it is hard to shake, even when the weather warms up. Cousin Jim is probably chuckling, thinking of his heated handgrips, seat, and I think he even has an electric vest?

After 95 to 100 miles I was finally seeing some blue sky through my sunglasses, which I debated on wearing because they make things too dark on a cloudy day ... but my amber glasses for rain-riding are scuffed.

I signed up for two nights here at the Battleship Inn Resort, next door to the military park. My $98-plus-tax-room ranks among the "dirtiest" rooms I've ever stayed in. $50 Motel 6 is cleaner. Numerous stains on the carpet, which match the stains on the upholstered booths of the restaurant next door called "The Captains Table." The term "Resort" is an idle boast I'm sure.

In the evening a brown dog of the Terrier persuasion roams the premises, barking at guests. He acts like he owns the place. I found out he does. His name is "Chewy" (wonder how many guests he's chewed to earn that name?). From the office sofa, he and his Chihuahua sidekick have the day watch, pretending to be courteous and responsible. Complaints go unreprimanded because the dogs belong to the owner, according to the desk clerk. Meanwhile, a rotund black lab snoozes on the front steps and you have to walk around him. What's up with this place?

The good news .... there is a laundry service that picks up and delivers. The cost for my bag of clothes was $14; steep but I consider it a bargain when the alternative is hunting the streets of Mobile for a laundromat.

I spent two nights at the Battleship Inn "resort" and had all meals at the Captain's Table -- sparse and marginal food for a high price but it's the only place within walking distance.

On day two I spent 5 or 6 hours walking the decks and climbing the ladders of the USS Alabama next door. Some of that time was spent in the nearby aircraft pavillion and on the USS Drum, a land-mounted submarine. It was a day filled with fascinating discoveries of both ships' involvement in World War II. Their stories are only a click away on the Internet.

Click: USS Alabama BB60

Click: USS Drum SS228

I made a slideshow with pictures of the Alabama (included in the video below) and, for mood-setting music, added Johnny Horton's 1960 hit, "Sink The Bismark". Granted, the Alabama had nothing to do with that historical event, which was a British victory six months before America even entered the war.... but the song sets the appropriate ambience for big ships with big guns.


Mobile, Alabama at The Battleship Inn
The USS Alabama Was Decomissioned and
Towed to Mobile in 1964 to Become a Museum Ship


Looking Toward The Bridge
From The Forecastle of The USS Alabama
USS Drum SS228


Land Locked
 
Tourist Entrance (Not Original) To 
Inside The Drum
 
Small Door and Narrow Passageway 

Person In Doorway Gives Size Perspective



Union Jack On USS Drum



Sea Cadets at The Stern
 

Video of Ride To Mobile and
Slideshow of The USS Alabama

Hammond, LA to Mobile, AL ... 160 Miles
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Glen,
Another great story on your blog. Enjoyed your write up, pictures & video. Would have liked being there with you to tour the battleship and sub. Good song selection. Not much battleship music out there to choose from. Hope your Harley is holding up for you. Keep on truckin....
LA from Tustin

Cousin Jim said...

I enjoyed this episode. The Battleship Inn Resort looked pretty nice on the outside. Too bad about the inside.

Toward the end of my Navy enlistment, I was offered nuclear power school in exchange for a six-more-years obligation. At that time, there was only one nuclear powered carrier - the USS Enterprise - and a few nuclear guided missile cruisers and submarines. I was intrigued by submarine duty, but thought it might not be compatible with my touch of occasional claustrophobia. I chose a return to civilian life.

Once again, excellent writing, music and visuals. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Great video of this attraction. I guess I should refer to it as a memorial. Brings back some of my memories of 55 years ago. My ship the USS Newport News was scrapped in Mobile after its demise in VeitNam. Great job your doing Glen.