Short Day To Hammond

April 23, 2013
Negotiating Interstate 10 through New Orleans was not my idea of a good time. Sherry and I visited the French Quarter in 2000 for three days, so no need to see it again. The best thing was to find a route around that city.

I took what I thought would be the back-road to Morgan City. Turned out it was also a freeway, at least two lanes in each direction, but not crowded. It was windy but I've grown accustom to the wind and realize it will be with me wherever I go.

There wasn't much to capture on video along the route, except for the huge bridge arching over the Mississippi River at Luling. It is precisely then the first of my three batteries died. Because of heavy traffic and attention to safety it was not feasible to stop and change batteries.

Another "video-missed-sight" was the spectacular connection of the 310 freeway with Interstate 10 on which I had to travel a few miles west to make the connection to Interstate 55 leading north to Hammond.
Long sweeping arches offered nearly an aerial view of stilted freeways connecting via on and off ramps also on stilts above the vast swamp that is called Louisiana. Very few of the roads I was on today were on the ground.

I'm way behind on the blog, not to mention the growing number of video clips I don't ever see having time to edit.  I stopped after only 160 miles, here at Hammond. Never heard of this place, which is on the opposite shore of Lake Pontchartrain from New Orleans. My plan tomorrow is to head east from here, connect with Interstate 10 at Sidell and ride it to Mobile where I intend to stay at the Battleship Inn and visit the USS Alabama.
 


 New Iberia To Hammond (160 Miles)


No comments: