London Bridge & Cell Phone Challenged

April 5, 2013
I rode into the sun for just a short ways on this pleasant, wind-free morning from Needles. The good ride was even better when I turned south onto US 95 to Lake Havasu City where I intended to snap a photo or two of the famous 1831 London Bridge that was dismantled in England in 1967 and reassembled in Lake Havasu City, completed in 1971.

Getting a good view of London Bridge was difficult due to it being surrounded by fenced/gated resort property, or so it seemed as I tried twice to penetrate the viewscape. I did manage a "glimpse" of a small portion of the bridge from the parking lot of one those golf-cart roaming resorts. I lacked the necessary interest to pursue a better view, so settled on what I saw, which was enough to check it off my "been-there-done-that" list (not to be confused with a "bucket list").

I had debated whether to take Hwy 95 or the Kingman route, which I think might have been a little quicker. I'm glad I opted for Hwy 95. I believe it to be less monotonous and it's a pretty ride alongside the Colorado River on what is called the Parker Strip, below Parker Dam.

I peeled off US 95 onto Hwy 72, then hooked into Hwy 60 at the small town of Hope. Caught some gusty cross winds between there and Wickenburg where I stopped for fuel and intended to call daughter Charlotte with an updated "ETA".

Not being a hi-tech cell-phoner, with stored phone numbers and speed dial (I have an archaic "go phone"), I had to dig out her phone number from a zippered pouch on the back of my pack, then had to rummage through my jacket pockets for some reading glasses. Dialed the number, put it to my ear and realized I still had my helmet on. Canceled the procedure; took off the helmet and started over. Then the phone didn't work. Upon inspection I discovered I had no cell service.

The quickest route to Cave Creek involves a left turn a few miles east of Wickenburg. I was prepared. (By the way, my Garmin GPS was doing well in holding its charge if used sparingly during a day's ride .... it'd be nice if I could plug it in. Maybe someday.) I was warned away from that left turn by a big digital sign advising of a paving job on that highway and to expect "long delays". I opted for its second advice ... to seek an alternate route.

The GPS was going nuts about missing the turn and instead of offering an alternate route it kept instructing me to turn around. I turned it off. When I was far enough away for it to forget, I turned it back on hoping it would show a logical alternative. It did, instructing me to seek the 303 freeway. The 303 is a new, traffic-sparse freeway that circled north where I hooked into the 17 one mile shy of my needed exit to Carefree Highway. Another 8 miles or so and I was in Charlotte and Brian's neighborhood, where they moved last November. I'd never been there.

Turn left in 300 feet, the GPS instructed. I argued, why not the intersection I'm at now, because there is nowhere to turn in 300 feet? Sure enough, I overshot the turn and had to come back. Did the same thing with the entry gate to the gated community, a fact I'd forgotten about and so did my daughter because I had no knowledge of the combination needed for entry. Didn't matter, I'd overshot the entry. ...... by and by I was at another locked gate.

Back to the cell phone; list of phone numbers; reading glasses; Checked this time and the phone "did" have service. I had that much going for me. Dialed the number. Put it to my ear. Yep..... forgot to take off the helmet AGAIN!

Once again I reversed the complicated phone call procedure and was soon in contact with Charlotte who was a block or two away. Long story short .... she had to come down and let her dawdling father in.

After hugs and handshakes, a bit of relaxing and showering away the road grime, Brian and I took the 25-mile ride to Paradise Valley where Grandson Asher and his mom were already preparing for Asher's participation with the Phoenix Boy's Choir concert. It was a good show. We were home by 9:30 or 10 and I for one was looking forward to a hay-hitting encounter with the guest bed.


Partial View of The London Bridge
at Lake Havasu City, AZ


Needles To Cave Creek
Needles To Cave Creek, AZ (242 Miles)


Detour







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Glen,
Very nice. The different camera locations makes for a superb video. The road and Bike sounds are good for the video too. The quality of your videos is quite good. I believe you have the right video camera for this trip.
This is good stuff...
LA from Tustin

Unknown said...

Wow Bob. What a truly lovely trip. Your pictures are great, some of them just downright outstanding!! Magazine worthy for certain. Would love to learn a thing or two from you about photography. Remind me again what type of camera you are using??

Your blog is so nice to look at and read.

Thanks for sharing with us all!

Blessings,

Mindy (Larry and Linette's eldest)