Sniff Tested, Back Roads and Grandpa Frank

It was a cloudy start this morning, leaving Del Rio, but the forecast promised no rain. Thankfully, they got it right. 

I rode east on U.S. 90 where apparently some folks think that is the speed limit. The actual speed limit is 70, which was a tad faster than I wanted to go because of occasional bumps and more than a few curves (I've never seen 65 mph curve designation speeds before), but I did my best to maintain the limit to keep from getting run over. I did slow a little to cross some railroad tracks so I wouldn't be airborne from the expected bump. Even with slowing, the bump lifted me out of the seat by what felt like an inch. All the while I was being tailgated by a horse trailer jockeying for passing position. (Where's a cop when you need one?)
The wind was mild at the start of the ride and I was enjoying the scenery. Trees had sprouted since yesterday and there was lots of green, much to the delight of some tree-munching goats outside their fence. They were stretching to reach the low hanging limbs and not a threat to passing traffic. It would have been nice to take a photo, but sort of difficult throttling down to a stop from 70 mph with cars on your rear bumper.
Many historical markers exist along the route. I wonder how they expect people to stop and view them without getting rear-ended?

More Border Patrol today. I happened to have the video running when I pulled up for inspection. Here's a 2 minute clip:




The GPS tricked me again at Uvalde. Turn in 300 feet it said. I ended up turning into an alley. I suppose if I'd look at the signs at the intersection I'd fair better. That's what I get for trading my brain for technology. As it turned out, I came out on a peaceful side street and took advantage of the tranquil setting for a granola bar and water break.

Uvalde, Texas
Lunch Break In Uvalde, Texas
Designated a "Farm Road", Highway 140 was a nice change from the busy U.S. 90. It would take me diagonally for 110 miles down to Interstate 37 leading to Corpus Christi. Very little traffic, except one big truck not far behind me when I wanted to stop and take pictures of the beautiful farm country ... IE.. cattle, horses and Brahma bulls. And my video camera battery had just died. I wanted to pull over and remedy the situation but there were absolutely no shoulders and that big truck was not far behind me. On I rode until the scenery lost its lustre  .... then there was a shoulder to stop on.
The back roads were great. I found of interest the small town life in Pearsall, Christine and Charlotte. I stopped and snacked on a granola bar and water in Campbellton while listening to roosters crowing in the front yard of one of the few residences in the tiny town.
Yesterday's mileage was 38 mpg. The stark change from my average of 40 to 50 was undoubtedly due to wind. I thought I might be doing better today, and it started out that way but didn't last. When I got on I-37 for the final 80 miles to Corpus Christi there was a fierce head wind. I'll be lucky to show 30 mpg on my next fill up.
I was in Corpus Christi 49 years ago to attend my grandfather's funeral (November 1964). I only met him once, the previous April. I never knew him but didn't think it right to pass through without stopping to pay my respects.
Rose Hill Memorial Park is a huge place. Lucky I got there before the office closed because finding the grave would be the proverbial "needle in a haystack". A very nice lady assisted me. My grandfather is buried next to his brother and they share a headstone. Noticing it is sinking in the sandy soil, the nice lady offered to put in a work order to have it raised up a bit. No charge. I took her up on it, figuring Grandpa Frank and Uncle Louie could use the lift. 

Click For: MORE PICTURES 

 

Del Rio to Corpus Christi .... 272 Miles




1 comment:

Leon said...

Stopping to pay your respects Glen is really good of you. It looks pretty dry there in Corpus Cristy.
Enjoyed the drive-thru of the Border Patrol Station. I'm surprised the dog let you thru. He must have missed the smell of your three dogs, cat(s), bird & horse. hahaha.
Your bike looks pretty clean for all the miles you have ridden. Loved the bug splatter sound.
Best of luck, keep on trucken'
LA in Tustin