Alabama Meandering

April 27, 2013
I was never a huge fan of Hank Williams but I grew up listening to his music, because that's what my father listened to. Hank's rags to riches story is an interesting one, starting in the backwoods town of Georgiana, Alabama where he lived until he was 11 years old. His father, a hard worker in the lumber industry, who, when asked about his working hours, would say, "I worked from can to can't," spent much of his time in the "Nervous Hospital" after serving in France during World War 1.

Hank and his sister, Irene, were raised by their mother, a tough woman who backed down to no one. In describing his weapon of choice in the many bar fights that broke out in the Honky Tonks where he played his first music, Hank said all he ever needed in a fight was his mother standing behind him with a broken bottle in her hand.

The home the Williams family occupied in Georgiana is now a museum containing photographs, news articles and various memorabilia associated with the singer's life. I figured since I was in the neighborhood (i.e. Alabama) I'd stop and take a look.

About two miles off Interstate 65, Georgiana is a throw back to the past. The town seemed deserted to me this Saturday afternoon, but there's about 1300 residents according to the elderly lady who took my $3 admission fee at the museum. She's lived in Georgiana since she was 8 years old and is more than willing to tell you anything and everything about the town and/or Hank Williams, Georgiana's claim to fame. She's worked at the museum since 1994, about three years after it opened.

My plan was to make a sweep through Montgomery, 60 miles north of Georgiana, visit Hank Williams' grave, then angle down and enter Florida at Marianna the next day. Made it as far as Greenville, 20 miles north on I-65, and called it a day.

From Greenville I called "Cousin Rick", whom I'd never met but with whom I've traded  information concerning our mutual ancestry for at least ten years. It was my intention to finally meet him and suggested we meet for dinner in his town of Bell, Florida in two days. He countered with an invitation to his home for dinner. He lives six miles out of Bell on a dirt road. But a really short, motorcycle friendly, dirt road he promised.

April 28, 2013
I arrived in Montgomery under overcast sky with a slight threat of rain, about 10 a.m. It was Sunday.  Traffic was light but police manned all intersections I came to due to some kind of bicycle and/or jogging race. I saw representatives of both.

My destination, Oakwood Cemetery, wasn't hard to find with the GPS guiding the way. I took some photos of the Williams' grave and was soon working my way south out of Montgomery onto State Route 53.

It was about 2:30 p.m. when I stopped for fuel in Dothan. Ignoring the darkening clouds I started south once more, only 40 miles from my day's destination of Marianna, Florida. Rumbles of thunder got my attention.  I could keep going, head into an obvious storm, or dive into the first motel parking I came to. I wimped out and opted for the motel, barely securing a room before the sky opened up. I unstrapped my luggage in record time as the soaking commenced, then stood under the overhang by my motel door and watched the parking lot turn into a lake within five minutes.

April 29, 2013
One look out the window told me I'm not going anywhere this morning. The parking lot lake from yesterday was now underwater and it appeared there was no stopping this "new" torrential downpour. I decided to stay put and signed up for another day, figuring I'd use the time to catch up on picture editing and blogging. First I needed to call Rick and cancel tonight's dinner plans.

Cousin Rick is the principal of Bell High School and a very busy man. Tonight's arrangement was the only one he could manage in the foreseeable future. We eventually agreed to wait for my exit of Florida in a couple of weeks. Perhaps then we could meet for dinner.


 

Graves of Hank and Audrey Williams
Oakwood Cemetery, Montgomery, Alabama

 

Video Set To Alan Jackson's
Tribute Song To Hank Williams,
"Midnight In Montgomery"


Mobile To Greenville, AL (126 Miles)

Greenville To Dothan, Alabama (146 Miles)

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Glen, Very nice write up on Hank Williams. Loved that wrap around porch on his home. You never see that out here in Southern California with rare exception. Although I never heard it from Dad, I believe Hank Williams was one of his favorite. Your video was superb. The ending with Hank Williams overlay as you road through the cemetery was amazing.
LA in Tustin

Cousin Jim said...

I always enjoy your videos, but this one sets a new standard - it is outstanding! Your videography and editing just get better and better.

Sorry you missed the connection with cousin Rick. As the CBers used to say, maybe you can catch him on the flip-flop.