Back To The Road


 April 10, 2013
I had a great 5-day visit with Charlotte, Brian and Asher. It went quick. I was able to use some time there editing videos, a luxury I fear I won't have as I make one night stops along the road with marginal Internet connections.

I left Cave Creek at 8 a.m. and spent a good portion of the morning trying to skirt around the HUGE city of Phoenix to US Hwy 60 that would take me east through the mountains to Globe, a much preferred route over Interstate 10 through Tucson.

I ran into a dirt road in the skirting process but only had to back track 8 miles to Fountain Hills, then south to the 202 freeway loop that led down to US 60.

It was cool, but fine with a T-shirt and jacket, when I started out. I expected the day to get warmer, but instead it got colder and colder. I stopped in Superior and added a turtle neck under my jacket, even contemplated digging into the pack for my long johns. The leather chaps were barely adequate in warding off the cold wind. I guess I failed to recognize it is a long way from summer and I was traveling all day in the 3,000 to 4,000 elevation range and at 4585 feet when crossing the Continental Divide, although that area of New Mexico is flat as a pancake.

The cold wind was gusty in the mountains and got pretty fierce when the country opened up south of Globe. Lots of side gusts before Lordsburg where an abrupt east turn onto Interstate 10 meant the increasingly fierce and steady wind would be coming from behind. That tail wind worked great for several miles and probably helped the gas mileage. But the highway angled north from time to time and the wind was back with a vegence. It got so bad I considered stopping in Deming rather than fight it the last 60 miles to my destination at Las Cruces.

There were brown clouds of dust in the distance and if any followed the path of the large tumbleweed that just blew across the freeway about a quarter mile ahead, I'd need a pair of goggles rather than mere sunglasses.

I stopped in Deming for fuel and contemplation. (The bright side was dirt cheap gas ... 3.37 per gallon.)  Watching the wind blowing the branches of the few trees in the area, the direction looked parallel the freeway and in my direction.  I decided to get back in the fight. Glad I did because I'm 60 miles further down the road and it was a tailwind nearly all the way.

I took 2 1/2 batteries worth of video on today's ride. Of course 90 percent of that will be whittled away for a short video that will someday be uploaded here. But it won't be happening tonight. This wifi connection at the Motel 6 in Las Cruces is pretty slow.

I called Sherry this evening and she says the weather report for my neck of the woods is not good, but I may be south of the bad stuff. I guess I'd better start watching the weather channel.

Tomorrow's plan is to get at least as far as Alpine, Texas. Hope the wind is gone in the morning.



On The Streets of Cave Creek With Grandson, Asher

Asher

Rest Area at Superior, Arizona

Goldwingers







Cave Creek, AZ to Las Cruces, NM ... 414 Miles

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really enjoying your trip and photos. Asher has grown some. You are looking not-so-bad too...haha.
Your close up photo of Asher with out of focus surroundings is superb. Wish I had a camera that would do that. The last few days looking at the weather channel didn't look good for you. Hope you missed all the rain, ice and wind. Mother wasn't so lucky. She had ice everywhere.
Best of luck in Texas.
LA of Tustin