High Dollar Gas, Rough Roads and Wind

Thursday, April 4, 2013
I woke to a blustery overcast morning but that's okay because I was in time for coffee. I was packed and ready to roll in record time and only needed a fill up of gasoline to be complete. A station was handy next door.

In addition to above $4 for gas throughout California (I paid $4.599 in Ludlow), I've noticed a pattern in the inefficient self service pumps. I was willing to concede operator error for the first fill up or two but have finally concluded the pumps are the ones with the problem. And they almost never print a receipt, even when you press "yes" when the pump asks if you want one. Their favorite phrase is "see cashier". The cashier will give you a receipt .... after you stand in line behind the snack-buying crowd.

On this particular Mojave morning, after two failed attempts, I got the same digital reply .... "see cashier". That was easier said than done.

I walked to the door of the adjacent convenience store to find it boarded up. A big sign next to the closed/locked door read "CASHIER" with an arrow pointing to the end of the building. No door there. Continuing to walk around the building, to the opposite side, I found the entrance to the store, completely out of view of the pumps and my bike with all my gear ripe for the picking by anyone of the thieving persuasion.

The apathetic clerk robotically instructed me to leave my card at the counter, go fill up, come back and pay. (Apparently she could override the stubborn pump and make it work.) Not only did I have to come to the opposite side of the building once, but twice! I had to know "why" that door was boarded up. I asked. The clerk said because the wind blows so hard, and most of the time, it's too bothersome to have people coming in an out of that door.

The only entrance to this store is on the opposite side
of the building, apparently a permanent remedy for
too much wind blowing through an open door
on this side, which is now boarded shut.

The clerk was right about the blowing wind. It was kicking up pretty good by the time I got to Barstow and eastbound toward Needles. Not a bad wind, but too much for it to be a comfortable ride. Comfort was also compromised by the very rough road in many areas along the route. I thought I might lose a filling in a few areas, or  worse, my camera would shake loose and be reduced to plastic shrapnel in my rear view mirror. That aggravation, plus a sign advertising construction ahead, caused me to take the next rest area exit and do exactly that. Rest. I downed a granola bar or two and had a few swigs from my water bottle.

A young man from a shiny maroon pickup sauntered over to trade Harley stories. His home was Fresno and he was on his way to the Grand Canyon. He'd thought about riding his "Fat Boy" but it was raining so he didn't. I felt lucky to have missed the rain.

By and by I pulled into line for the construction. I wasn't too disappointed because they at least were addressing the problem of the very rough road. The construction didn't last long and I was soon back to my wind-fighting ride to Needles where I arrived early, about 2 p.m.

The plan was to stow my gear in the room and take the 22 mile ride to the old mining town of Oatman, Arizona that sits on an original portion of Route 66 between Kingman and Needles.

A gaudy little tourist trap, Oatman charms the crowds with its footloose donkeys who roam the streets at will. Kids especially like to feed them "hay cubes" made available at various locations in town. It's a cute town and worth the visit if you're nearby.

I walked the main street, took a few photos, and conversed with fellow "bikers". A retired State Farm Insurance agent from Billings, Montana (name of "Gary") traded stories with me for quite some time as I leaned over a hitching rail admiring his customized white Road King Classic. He said he trailered his bike to Las Vegas where he's been for 6 weeks. Next week he plans a ride to Monterey for a reunion with his two daughters. He's hoping for dry weather.

A man and wife road into town on separate Harley's. She on a Road King and his was an Ultra Classic. They were from Alberta. Again, they hadn't ridden from there. Impossible this time of year with the snow. They also trailered their bikes and were staying at Bullhead City. 

Click for: OATMAN PICTURES

I returned to my room at Needles just before dark and walked next door to Denney's for supper. An early departure is planned for tomorrow in hopes of getting to Daughter Charlotte and family's home in Cave Creek by 2 pm and prepare to attend Grandson Asher's choir concert in Phoenix in the evening.



Mojave To Needles Video


Needles To Oatman Video
(Best Viewed at 640 Resolution)



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Glen,
Your videos were A+ and the music selections were perfect. Enjoyed reading your write-up. We have been to Oatman twice. Loved every minute while we were there. We also know that road side rest area you stopped at. We stop there every time we are going east or west. Sorry you didn't like our "highway robbery gas prices". Our politicians love taking you money, come back soon.
LA of Tustin

Anonymous said...

I agree with LA of Tustin!

RV of Winfield