Hospitalized Cousin

April 17, 2013
An unexpected change in plans has resulted after learning of Cousin Bob being in a Tyler hospital for dialysis treatment. This morning I veered off my original course and am now in Tyler after another wind-gusty day. The visit to Lancaster wasn't that important and, besides, the weather in Tyler is supposed to be better over the next couple of days. Although, the sky is filled with clouds and the wind is fierce, even for standing up. Thunderstorms are predicted for tomorrow ... but no tornadoes.

It was a pretty ride today, crossing green hills and valleys where ranches and livestock abound. If not for the strong wind gusts that required a death grip on the handlebars, it would have been a pleasant ride as well.

I got settled in a room about 2 miles from the hospital, then headed over to visit Bob. We hadn't seen one another in 12 years, so there was a lot of catching up to do. He says they're talking about releasing him from the hospital tomorrow, but he's not sure when.

2015 Update: Having been overwhelmed trying to include video two years ago, I've just now added this segment of the trip:


Video: Rockport To Rockdale


Video: Rockdale To Tyler

April 18, 2013
As predicted there was rain and thunder most of the morning. A good day to stay inside, which is exactly what I did. I signed up for another day here at the Hampton Inn in Tyler:



Cousin Bob was not released after all. Maybe tomorrow, in which case he'll return to his home near Athens. I stayed in my room catching up some video editing, completing two. I've been having difficulty getting the videos to upload to the Internet when I use Smugmug, so I'm going back to YouTube.
Here is a video that I've added to my April 10th blog entry, the ride from Cave Creek, Arizona to Las Cruces, New Mexico:


This video is added to my April 11th blog entry, the ride from Las Cruces, New Mexico to Alpine, Texas:
April 19, 2013
I received an early morning call from Susan, Bob's wife, saying she drove him home from the hospital last night. So, after the fine breakfast they serve here at the Hampton Inn, I'll pack my gear and head toward Athens, 36 miles southwest of here. Susan assures me their graveled, hillside driveway is passable for a motorcycle after an all day rain. I hope so.


I will call Cousin "Jim" in a little while and let him know the latest. He will meet with me at Bob and Susan's for a visit, as well as Bob's sister "Cousin Sandra". We'll have an afternoon cousin reunion, after which Jim and I will go into Athens and get a room for the night. Tomorrow we plan to ride (Jim has a BMW) to Avery Island on the Louisiana Coast.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like your music choice going through El Paso. And- the canyons on your way out of Arizona are pretty.