Judge Roy Bean and Blown In The Wind

April 12, 2013
I'm in Del Rio, Texas, having abandoned my plan to drop below the main route by 50 to 70 miles (and back) to see Big Bend National Park. I decided to take advantage of the good weather and get as far east as I can before it changes. Of course there's always the wind. It never seems to quit.

With only 204 miles to go today I didn't leave early. Waited for it to warm up a bit. It did and I had a very pleasant ride all the way to Sanderson, although I did encounter a simultaneous 9-bug splash on my windshield. Weird! I actually saw them hovering in the air before impact. I say 9 because that's how many left their mark. And they weren't small marks. Many more flew over my head. Never saw anything like it. A shotgun blast of bugs. I don't know what they were as they hit with such velocity their remains were unidentifiable. But they were big. Maybe it was a swarm of bees?

I'm not sure whether to call this area desert or not? It's mostly flat as far as the eye can see, but there's lots of scraggly vegetation, scattered mesquite trees and green grass sprouting, undoubtedly the product of recent rain.

The wind started getting gusty before Langtry where I stopped to peruse the Judge Roy Bean museum and take a few photos. I probably spent about an hour there. All that while the wind was gearing up to ambush me on my final 60 miles to Del Rio.

I don't mind straight wind, even a nostril-shutting side wind if it is consistent. It's the surprise gusts that come out of nowhere that are the real challenge. A good sign is when you see motorcycles coming from the opposite direction. If they made it through where I'm headed I  should be able to do the same. It all makes for a tiring day though.

The GPS says I'm at 1200 or so elevation here at Del Rio, which means I dropped about 3,000 feet. .... and I thought I was traveling on flat ground all day. It explains the currently warm weather.



April 13, 2013
Destination today (if I ever get packed and out of here) is Corpus Christi .... 275 miles. That will put me 32 miles from my friend's place where I plan to arrive fresh on the 14th instead of beat after a long day's ride.





Photos
At Langtry, Texas

Roy Bean Answered The Call

The Jersey Lily






 






2 comments:

Will said...

I am enjoying your Blog Glenn. If you come back near Wickenburg Arizona you might look up Phil McLain. Have a good trip.
Will

Leon said...

Wow Glen, having a swarm of bugs hit that nice, new, clean, plexiglass, wind screen must have BUGGED YOU...hahaha. Sorry, I just couldn't pass that one up. Our cousin Mark use to work in Pecos Texas and he said all it had there was blowing wind and rolling tumbleweeds. Sounds like you are near there. The pictures and videos are very enjoyable. We appreciate all your effort putting your blog together for us to read & view.
LA in Tustin