Hard Times In Hammond

April 24, 2013
As earlier stated I had planned to ride to Mobile this morning but the dark overcast sky looked like it could cut loose with more than the predicted afternoon shower. I turned on the weather channel for a quick report and it was "beeping" with a red band across the bottom saying a "Tornado Watch" was in affect for "your" area. I concluded they were addressing "me".
If no tornado, there would at least be 60 mile per hour wind, heavy rain and/or hail.

Not only did I immediately decide against leaving, I wanted to find hail-protected cover for my bike. I went to the front desk, signed up for another day and requested permission to park under the breezeway. I was the only one seemingly concerned about the approaching storm.

The storm came and went. Rumbling thunder and rain until about 1 p.m. No wind. No hail. No tornado. The desk clerk was correct in not being concerned. I'm beginning to think the weather channel folks are the epitome of the "boy who cried wolf." However, I did learn the next morning two tornadoes touched down near New Orleans. No injuries. Not sure about damage.

This area of Hammond is "truck stop country". Large amounts of trucks coming and going off the nearby freeway (I-12). Very busy area.

No comments: