Backroad Progress

May 26, 2013
Backroad benchmarks for the northern trek through Georgia to Robbinsville, North Carolina were Monroe and Gainesville, cities of moderate size and recognizable on a map, if I had a map. The limited display on the GPS screen, with its "trust me" implication, wasn't  exactly a confidence builder as I struggled to cover that first 24 miles to Monroe, especially when the GPS led me to a dirt road before we even got out of Madison.

Granted, I had handicapped the GPS's decision making by eliminating freeways as an option, purposely wanting the backroad experience. But I'd also eliminated her selection of "dirt roads" so I was a bit perplexed when she insisted on them from time to time. Perhaps sometime in their history those roads were paved, thereby giving her an excuse? Nevertheless, I found myself on my own quite often during our all-day-156-mile-ride, even relying on morning shadows to point the way north while trying to explain to the GPS the difference between backroads and "goat trails". Surely there were some secondary highways that continue in one basic direction for more than a mile. Why is it she insists onto another road, seemingly every mile, or before I can even shift out of third gear? 
 
Though it was apparent we wouldn't reach our intended destination today, we agreed we were on the proper course to Deal's Gap. Not a map-listed town, neither of us could decide if Deal's Gap was in North Carolina or Tennessee. It's a biker enclave from which to jump onto the "Tail of The Dragon --- 11-miles of 318 motorcycle-luring curves that is all the rave in the biker world. I'm not a raving biker but, being this close to the area, I feel compelled to check it out.

We (GPS, Harley and me) made it to Monroe, rose to an elevation of 1232 feet at Gainesville, and were doing fine until coming to what we now know is the tourist-frenzy town of Helen, Georgia near the headwaters of the 430-mile Chattahoochee River that flows through town and is a magnet for inner-tubing water lovers on a hot day. Today was one of those days, not to mention it is also the Memorial Day Weekend.

About a mile from the city limits traffic backed up and came to a heat-grueling standstill.  Being Sunday, we knew the standstill wasn't construction related. Perhaps a wreck? The GPS had no clue and neither did I as we inched our way into town and ultimately realized the congestion was due only to meandering tourists. But how long would it last? How long was the town? I could only wonder as my left hand squeezed and un-squeezed the clutch lever, the air-cooled Harley began to choke and sputter, and the GPS became faint, her display fading in the bright sun. We all needed a break. Perhaps even an all night break at the high dollar Best Western we were now stopped in front of. Before I could decide, the Harley had us parked in the shaded breezeway.

I'm not sure if it was good news or bad, the fact the expensive motel was booked up and we were forced to motor on. The kind desk lady, who allowed me the use of the lobby restroom, said there was only a mile left of town and directed us to a backstreet that bypassed most of the congestion, a common weekend problem she attributes to the city having no stop lights. I wondered why the GPS hadn't advised me of the bypass and she said she would have if I'd have merely consulted her detour feature. Again, it was my fault.

Soon, we were back to highway speed, our sweat-dripping tempers cooling in the breeze and, to her credit, the GPS suggested a Quality Inn an hour ahead in Andrews, North Carolina. Unsure of lodging possibilities in Deal's Gap, especially on Memorial Day Weekend, or the closest town, Robbinsville, I figured Andrews was close enough and made a reservation. We could now kick back and enjoy the ride.




Way Down Yonder On The Chattahoochee 
In Tourist-Infested Helen, Georgia

Approaching Andrews, North Carolina
Rolling Into The Quality Inn
Bikers Welcome, Says The Sign
156 Miles (Long Day, Short Distance)






No comments: