Doing Time In Wallace

June 23, 2013
As is well known, I'm a bit behind in keeping this blog current. Today's real date is April 2, 2014, exactly one year since I started this ride. The Dec 12th date shown above is automatic/unchangeable whenever a blog entry is started. On that December date I purposely created unpublished posts for the rest of the trip so as to keep the finished product at least in the correct year, 2013, even though the many months listed in the contents are not accurate. The actual trip started April 2nd and ended June 26th.

Falling behind started in Florida because I was immersed in touristic glee and was quickly overwhelmed, trying to keep my writing/videos up to date. However, on the actual day of June 23, 2013, I made a blog post explaining all that --- Click Here To Read

Now for the rest of the day of June 23rd: 
Blue sky had erased the clouds of yesterday and promised a good ride this morning as I set out for Spokane, Washington, which seemed an appropriate destination for today. Though quite chilly when I started I was adequately layered with suitable clothing and found the ride comfortable and exhilarating. No rain, no wind, the sun at my back and beautiful scenery as barren flatlands gave way to forested hills and mountains. It doesn't get any better than that. And though I encountered a fair amount of teeth-rattling highway, mostly in the mountains, the rough parts didn't last long and were separated by longer stretches of smooth road suitable for the 75 mph speed limit. Clouds gradually filled the sky as the day wore on, increasing the likelihood of late-afternoon thunderstorms. I hoped I was to my destination before they became reality. 

I'd just crossed the Idaho border, descending Interstate 90's Lookout Pass, when I decided to stop in a turnout to read some area history off large signs. It told of silver mining and local associated towns of which "Wallace" was one. I recalled that name being mentioned by a friend who'd been there and said it was well worth a visit. I imagined a stay in Wallace would be more interesting than staying in the big city of Spokane, 80 more miles down the Interstate.  Only 16 more miles to Wallace. The decision was made. The GPS led me to the door step of the Stardust Motel, an old but clean place reasonable priced on the south side of town.

The desk lady (and apparent owner) was born and raised in Wallace. She apologized for most of the shops being closed, it being Sunday and all, but agreed with my preference to just walk the streets and look at the numerous old buildings, maybe take a few pictures. I did:  PICTURES  Read about Wallace  HERE

Looking for dinner after my picture-taking walk around town, I found the desk lady's recommended City Limits Pub and Grill on the north edge of town. Aptly named, it's a short walk outside the city limits alongside 9-Mile Creek. I suspected correctly the waitress-directing man who carried his own plate from the kitchen, sat at nearby patio table and asked me how my food was, was the owner.

A friendly guy, he commented that it was very "muggy" out. I was able to trump his idea of muggy with my report on the heat in Florida from where I'd recently returned. He agreed I was probably right with my "you-ain't-seen-nothin'" account. From the ensuing conversation I learned, like the desk lady whom he knows, he was born and raised in Wallace. But he spent 35 years in Alaska before returning to try his hand at the pub business with a friend. They also own the adjacent RV Park, which sparked my interest. Maybe Sherry and I will come back with the trailer someday, browse the shops and further explore the history of Wallace. The man said the spots are full-hookup at $25 per night. Best to make reservations he said, especially in July when there are several festivals in town.

My 4-hour excursion of Wallace was over by 8 p.m. Today's predicted rain never happened.

 
June 24, 2013
When blindsided by rain on the open road you have no choice but to tough it out and carry on. But when you awake to drip-drizzling rain and there's an option to sign up for another day .... well, it's an easy choice. That was me and that's the choice I made. I could use the down time to work on my blog and videos.  And I really needed to find a laundermat.

The desk lady advised there's a laundermat 2 blocks away and, regarding my breakfast inquiry, said the Red Light Garage next door serves a huge Huckleberry pancake to die for.

"Yeah, and if you don't finish it she'll eat the leftovers," mumbled a coffee-sipping old-guy seated nearby, peering over his newspaper. (I suddenly realized morning newspaper readers are becoming as rare as telephone booths. If it was a young-guy he wouldn't have held a newspaper but, instead, would have been digitally involved with a handheld device.)

"Oh stop it," the lady scolded, then chuckled and said, "But I will freeze them and save them for later."

With a recommendation like that how could I not order the Huckleberry pancake. I don't know if it was to die for but it was pretty good and pretty filling. Interesting place, the Red Light Garage. I learned from the proprietor, a rotund gent with a white goatee (reminded me of folk-singer Burl Ives), the place in fact was a two-bay automotive garage when he bought it 21 years ago and turned it into a cafe.

"This here's the lift," he said, tapping the huge support of the elevated table he sat next to on a bar-stool. "Still works." Pointing to the ceiling, which was covered in old license plates, he said it started when he used just one to patch a leak. The idea caught on. People kept giving him license plates until he filled the ceiling.

Between heavy rain showers I made it to the laundermat and back. I spent the afternoon doing computer work and monitoring the weather channel on TV. I ventured out about 5 p.m. for dinner at the "Smoke House" restaurant, which occupies only a small section on the ground floor of a huge brick building built in 1890, if the displayed date is correct.  I ordered the half-rack of BBQ ribs. The "4" ribs came with a thimble full of baked beans and a dollop of potato salad. It tasted good but certainly wasn't worth the $18 price tag and the service was marginal. Should have gone back to the City Limits Pub. 

More rain on tomorrow's weather menu. But I can't stay here forever. I've got to make a run for it.


Historic Wallace, Idaho

Had Dinner At The City Limits Pub

Patio Dining and RV Park on Other Side

The Red Light Garage Is A Cafe

Had Breakfast Here


Had Dinner At The Smoke House Restaurant

Lodged Here In Wallace, Idaho (June 23 and 24)



Butte To Wallace (Video Part One)

Butte To Wallace (Video Part Two)

Butte, Montana To Wallace, Idaho (235 Miles)

No comments: