Nearing The Finish Line

Reporting live from Butte, Montana where I stopped 120 miles shy of my Missoula destination yesterday, tired of fighting the wind and rain that has plagued me since leaving Mandan, North Dakota two days ago. Today's plan is to ride the 315 miles to Spokane. Lord willing, I'll be home in two or three days.

When I started this trip the plan was to keep a running account of my adventures via this blog. Obviously that never happened, largely because of my pedantic thinking that all entries "have to be" in chronological order. This entry, for example, violates that concept and is difficult to write. Also, it was preferred that all entries include photos and or videos, which proved to be an overwhelming task to keep up with as days and weeks began to stack up quickly. Usually, at the end of a day my tired mind had difficulty forming intelligible thoughts, much less writing them. Conversely, my mind is fresh and ready to think in the morning. But morning writing (my preference) is most often distracted by clock watching so as not to miss "check out" time. And so it goes, day after day. Then there was my hit and miss success with Internet service along the route. And the latest obstacle is that my movie editing program developed a glitch that might require an uninstall and reinstall. Lastly, could it be the anticipated adventures weren't all that adventurous?

Though it may seem my whole blog idea has fallen apart, all is not lost. I've been writing rough notes along the way, recording thoughts and observations, and most assuredly taking pictures and video that I hope to bring to the blog once I get settled in at home. ....... after the list of chores Sherry has waiting for me. Well, maybe in between those chores, which might take the whole summer to complete. I have learned Sherry has become quite adept at lawn mowing. I therefore don't understand her apathy toward retaining that perishable skill but she's eager to give it up as soon as I enter the city limits.

Once again, "check out time" is looming, which means I have to call a halt to this rambling account of excuses and hit the road. I wanted clear sky and I got it. It's a beautiful morning out there. But Butte is at 5400 feet and it is 38 degrees out there. I can see the Harley's spokes shivering from my second floor window. Where are those long johns I haven't seen since April's cold Oregon departure? At the bottom of my pack I suppose.


9,470 Miles As Of June 23, 2013

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll give you AAA for finishing such a long and tedious trip across country. My 12 days was enough to make me want to get home quickly. Happy travels, you have succeeded.

Lisa said...

I was on a road trip for three weeks and slept for two days when I returned home. You may need a week or more :) Isn't traveling alone and taking road trips a blast?!!! May your return be safe and restful.

Cousin Jim said...

Putting the rest of the blog together after you get home makes sense - time to rest, ponder, organize and not feel time pressure. I'm looking forward to reading/seeing the rest of the trip, but there is no hurry. Stay rested and keep it shiny side up. I still wish I could have gone with you the rest of the way.

Anonymous said...

You are one hardy soul taking on this trip and keeping up a blog. I am looking forward to reading more of your blog as you rest and ponder your thoughts. Your blog has reached more people than you may realize. My friends & family think you are amazing.

Give Sherry our love when you get home and I will be talking to you.
LA in Tustin